Virtual Body Image, Yoga and Mindfulness Group for Teen Girls
Calling all 14-18 year old females who want to feel better in their own skin!
- Do you often feel uncomfortable in your body?
- Do you frequently wish your body looked different?
- Do you think your life would be better if you could change your body?
- Do you constantly worry about your body and feel like you need to change it?
- Would you like space to talk with others who share this experience?
- Do you feel like you’re alone in this… like you’re the only person who hates their body this much?
- Are you stable in your eating disorder recovery and want to work specifically on body image?
- Are you sick and tired of feeling bad about your body?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, this group is for you.
Come connect with others who are in the same place and want to feel better about themselves. Build resilience and learn skills to feel more comfortable in your body and counter negative body image thoughts.
There’s an amazing thing that happens when you focus on the inner experience of the body and the experiences you have with it, you focus less on how your body looks.
In this group, we will explore yoga and mindfulness practices to help increase self-awareness and encourage relaxation. When we focus on the inner experience of the body, there’s naturally less focus how the body looks.
We will also include components of the Body Project, an eating disorder prevention and early intervention program with well-documented results.
Objectives of the Body Project curriculum include:
- Define the “appearance” ideal and explore its origin
- Examine the costs of pursuing this ideal
- Explore ways to resist pressures to conform to unrealistic standards of beauty
- Discuss how to challenge personal body-related concerns
- Learn new ways to talk more positively about our bodies
- Talk about how we can best respond to future pressures to conform to societal standards of beauty
About the Facilitators
Amy Gardner and Juliana Sampaio are both trained Body Project facilitators and registered dietitians experienced working with eating disorders. Amy is also a 500 hour registered yoga teacher who is training in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). You can learn more about them on our Team Page.
Day/ Time: Monday evenings 7-8:30 PM
Dates: May 8th – June 19th (6 weeks)
Location: Virtual via Zoom
Group Size: Limited to 10 Participants
Format: 30-45 minute experiential mindfulness or yoga followed by Body Project activity based on group interest and expressed need
Cost – $345 for 6 weeks per person (offer 2 payment option)
Please complete this form to express interest.