Recipe for ‘Watcha Got’ Soup
Soup is a forgiving dish. It’s ok to replace an ingredient here or there if you need to, as long as it’s not key to the flavor of the soup.
Here is a blueprint you can use to make soup using “watcha got” or “whatcha like” in your kitchen.
12oz (~4) Chicken Sausages (any flavor)
12oz Pork Sausages
4-5 slices of Canadian Bacon
6 Slices of turkey or pork bacon
1lb ground beef or turkey (browned and seasoned with salt & pepper)
1lb vegetarian meat substitute (browned and seasoned with salt & pepper)
Choose one (15oz can or equivalent, rinsed)
4 cups chopped kale
4 cups baby spinach
4 cups green or red cabbage halved then sliced in thin strips
8 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup baby carrots cut lengthwise then cubed, then cut in to 1/2in slices*
3 stalks of celery chopped*
1 small onion chopped or 4 leeks cut in 1/2 and then sliced*
4 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP tomato paste
2 TBSP fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
1 TBSP each chopped fresh herbs of choice (Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, Oregeno)**
*Quick recipe hack – use the maripoux from Trader Joe’s (or another store) to spare yourself the chopping.
**Replace with 1tsp dried herbs in a pinch
1. Sautee meat/meat alternative in large skillet in 2TBSP olive oil until browned on all sides.
2. Add kale, spinach or cabbage and sautee an additional 2-3 minutes until covered with oil and slightly soft
3. Transfer to a bowl
4. Add remaining 2TBSP of olive oil and sautee the carrots, onions/leeks, celery until soft
5. Add the tomato paste, parsley and any other spices, stirring ~1min
6. Add the broth, meat-veggie mixture and beans and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 min.
8. Season with salt and pepper to taste.